Open the path to develop medicine for liver cancer treatment
Professor Ki Hun Park (College of Agriculture and Life Sciences) developed “Molecularic anti-liver cancer substance”
- Published the research article in the renowned journal “Hepatology”(Internet Journal Version)
- Opened the path to develop molecularic anti-liver cancer substance after discovering “TM4SF5”, a protein causing the creation and transfer of liver cancer and refraining its activities to restrain the formation and transfer of tumors in the liver
- Developed “TSAHC”, a candidate substance for a new liver cancer medicine, which can restrain the protein “TM4SF5”, and published the research article in the journal “Hepatology”(Internet Journal Version), which is renowned in the field of liver research
- “TSAHC”is expected to play an important role in developing molecularic anti-liver cancer substance which has fewer side effects than current anti-cancer medicine since it selectively controls the proliferation of tumor and blood vessel cells which nurtures cancer cells
5 research projects of GNU professors were selected in the name of “World Class University” projects of the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development
GNU is the only selected university with two types (type 2 and type 3) and two research type projects and will receive government financial support with a total of 1.4 billion KRW for 5 years.
- Type 2 (Recruiting foreign scholars to existing academic programs) - “Gyeongsang National University Aquatic Living Biotechnology : Research, Development and Education through Laboratory Establishment”by Tae Sung Cheng (College of Veterinary Medicine),“Development of Plant Environment Biotechnology responding to Climate Changes”by Dae Jin Yoon (Division of Applied Life Sciences)
- Type 3 (Inviting distinguished world-class scholars) - “Developing the next generation bioenergy manufacturing techniques using synthetic biology techniques”by Sun Won Kim (Division of Applied Life Sciences), “Research on the prevention of Coccidiosis, a wasting disease of chicken”by Won Ki Min (College of Veterinary Medicine), and “Analysis of pancreatic duct protein condition, moving mechanism, and function for the development, maintenance and longer distance movement of pancreatic duct”by Jae Yeon Kim (Division of Applied Life Sciences)
- Government financial support will be a total of 1.4 billion KRW for 5 years
Top SRC among the 100 SRC/ERCs supported by KoreaScience and Engineering Foundation(KOSEF)
Designated as an excellent Science Research Center (SRC) by KOSEF Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Research Center (RMBBRC) http://pmbbrc.gnu.ac.kr
- Designated as an excellent Science Research Center by KOSEF in 1990
- During the past 9 years, the PMBBRC has trained and produced 50 outstanding Ph.D. and 190 MS students. Over 40 doctoral degree holders are pursuing their scientific careers in prestigious institutes such as Harvard, Standford, Yale, U.C.Berkelry, as Post-Doc
- Published research work in top journals such as 'Cell', 'Nature', and 'Science'
- The Scripps Research Institute (USA) and the Max-Planck Institute for Plant Breeding (Germany) are among those that collaborate most actively with the PMBBRC
- Selected as the best research center among 100 SRC/ERC in Korea with our excellent human resources, fostering international cooperation and research competitiveness
Open the path of innovative treatment for future human hereditary disease
Produced Red color cloned cats with plasma transformation for the first time in the world 2007 - GNU Professor Il-geun Gong’s team (College of Agriculture and Life Sciences)
- Produced a somatic cell-cloned, gene-controlled cat for the first time in the world
- Produced transformation fluorescence cloned cats
- Opened the path to the therapy for human genetic disease
Selected as the best Research group of BK21 project (Residential Award)
Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development, Brain Korea 21 (BK21)
Fostering World Class Graduate Schools (phase 1)/ Fostering
Agriculture Life Industry Global Human Resources (phase 2)
Graduate School, Division of Applied Life Science
- Uniquely selected among regional national universities (phase 1)
- Participating in MS and Ph.D. programs with major American universities
- Awarded the president's prize for the best BK21 research group (the 1st phase)
- Uniquely selected among regional national universities in the field of Life Science for the 2nd phase of BK 21 (2006~2012)
- GNU is developing its masters and doctoral programs as well as other scholastic courses to enter among the world’s top 10 universities.
Enriching the world with greater knowledge and cultivating experts in the field of science and technology
Only two universities, namely Gyeongsang National University and Seoul National University, were selected in the first year of the program Selected to house a National Core Research Center (NCRC) by the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development Environmental Biotechnology National Cores Research Center (EB-NCRC) http://eb-ncrc.gnu.ac.kr
- GNU is fostering research centers that can enrich the world with greater knowledge and cultivating experts in the field of science and technology
- GNU has been granted a budget of three billion KRW for seven years (a total of 21 billion KRW)
- GNU professors and researchers have worked at Harvard, Yale, Standford, Columbia University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with endless research efforts in the field of life science.
Fostering Gyeongnam Bio-Industry Professionals
New University for Regional Innovation Project (NURI) of the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development Gyeongnam Bio-Vision Education Center
- Aims to produce up to 600 Bio-Vision professionals every year to meet the needs of regional industries and to vitalize the bio-industry in Gyeongnam area
- Establishes collaborative relationships involving universities, local governments, industries and research centers located in the Gyeongnam Bio Belt
- The Gyeongnam Bio-Vision project focuses on educating and developing Bio-Vision human resources with a total investment of 21 billion KRW during a four-year period
- The Gyeongnam Bio-Vision project was selected as an exemplary project of the year
- A total of 140 professors and 2,700 students are participating in the Gyeongnam Bio-Vision Project, which is being spearheaded by GNU. The participants include those majoring in Agriculture and life sciences (Agronomy, Horticulture, Applied Bio-environment, Food science and technology, Enviro-Biotechnology, animal science, zootechny) and Biology (Microbiology, biology, Biochemistry) with collaborating universities including Changwon National University, Jinju National University and Inje University.
- The key area of the Gyeongnam Bio-Vision project includes the followings :
- Innovation in Bio-Vision education through a bio-track system ineducation, selfdriven development and personal branding
- Gyeongnam bio-belt network through the establishment of the Bio-NURI Community and operating the biotechnology exchange hub
- Global Bio-frontier education through the English Zone program and global educational exchanges
- Development of young NURI Bio-Human Resources by operating the Young NURI Club
Fostering future leading eco-friendly ecological resources experts in LOHAS industry
New University for Regional Innovation Project (NURI) of the Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development LOHAS Gyeongnam Ecological Resources Expert Education
- LOHAS (Lifestyles of Health and Sustainability) refers to the large-scale social well-being of humans for current and future life through continuous development to preserve the earth environment rather than a small scale well-being life of an individual and his family to have a sound and healthy life.
- LOHAS will be a 21C mega-trend in the fields of Energy/Resources, Living Environment/Life, Medicine/ Health Preservation, Self-Development, and Ecofriendly industry
- Fosters professionals through the collaboration between 11 corporations and 4 GNU departments (Division of Environmental Forest Sciences (Forest Environment Resources/ Environmental Forest Products), Department of Agricultural Economics, Department of Regional Environment Engineering)
- With a budget of 17 billion KRW, LOHAS provides a student ability fostering program, an employment supporting program, an Edu-up program, and an ideal training track program
With the opening of a Medical Research Center of Neural Disorder, GNU was designated to house three large scale government funding research centers, SRC, NCRC, and MRC
Ministry of Science and Technology, Basic Medicine Research Center (MRC) Medical Research Center of Neural Disorder (MRCND)
- The Ministry of Science and Technology has set a basic medical research center project in order to foster major medical research centers focusing on medicine, dentistry, and oriental medicine. Following the goal of the Ministry of Science and Technology, MRC aims to systematically organize research human resources and technology resources.
- GNU research center of Neural Disorder has received 10 million KRW of funds from the Korea Science Foundation, Gyeongnam area, and companies for nine years to do systematic basic research and medicine development in neural diseases such as alcoholism or dementia.
- MRCND expects to increase competitiveness in local bio-technology through obtaining original skills of highly valued medicine and fostering professionals in the field of basic medicine.